Friday, June 1, 2012

Mindful Eating

And we're back! Sorry about the delay in posts. I launched with enthusiasm but without a realistic plan in place to sustain a flow of contact. Thanks to my friends Megan and Adam for their wisdom on how to do this project more thoughtfully. For the summer, and hopefully beyond, I commit to posting once a week and tweeting more frequently than that.

It is my hope that this blog is a collaborative project so if you have ideas, links, or feedback of any kind, please comment or send an email!

For this week, I want to point your attention to a practice called Mindful Eating. I first read about this in a NY Times Article that I recommend you read for yourself. It has been imported from Buddhist traditions via none other than the behemoth Google. They are a company that understands the link between health and employee productivity.

In essence the practice is to focus wholly on the food as you eat it - the flavors, textures, and your emotions as you consume. The spiritual component comes as gratitude for your food as you gain awareness of what you are eating. We see remnants of this idea also in the Jewish tradition of the seder. I believe there is much to be gained by this simple, but by no means simplistic, practice. Try it for one meal this week. Eat with no distractions and even try closing your eyes as you chew. See what you experience. Like any other discipline, the first time may be uncomfortable and not yield too many insights but try, try again.

2 comments:

  1. Noel,

    Good stuff here. I think something that comes out of this is the way we eat together in community too. I find myself rushing through meals, but the best times of community I've had is over a long meal, where the food was a key piece of our enjoyment of the time. Finding ways to share delight in food with others is a really hard thing to do with the busyness of people's lives.

    Keep going, love what's emerging here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this piece by Michael Pollan is a must-read on this topic. He's suggesting that even the way we prepare the food can be a way of being mindful of it. It also gets at how community often grows out of food experiences, as Adam [intensionblog.com] was saying...http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/magazine/10dinner-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

    ReplyDelete